Siemens-Alstom merger: Will the EC succumb to Franco-German pressures for the sake of May’s EU Elections?

A TGV train in France (Pixabay, 2019)

It was yesterday when executives of Siemens and Alstom met with EU Commissioner Margrethe Vestager in one of their last attempts to convince her to give the green light for their merge. The European Commission (EC) is now left to decide till February 18 whether or not to approve the merger of the rail operations of Siemens and Alstom. In the meantime, both companies agreed to sell a set of assets in an attempt to promote as much as possible the promising acquisition. However, the EC is profoundly investigating the case and is having numerous concerns as it is believed that this merger will reduce the competition in the supply of several types of trains and signalling systems creating a Franco-German rail monopolistic champion in the EU arena. Background The EC was only notified about the decision of Siemens AG to acquire Alstom SA on the 8th of June 2018 despite the two companies had demonstrated their will back in September 2017. Since then, the EU’s executive body has opened an in-depth investigation to assess this merger under the EU Merger Regulation. The EC has until February 18 to inform both companies about its decision. Both firms have a wide portfolio of high speed trains and safety control systems on mainline and urban rail networks. Together these companies will create a giant EU rail operator which can bring tremendous changes to the market and a monopolistic environment that favours them only and not the European consumers. EC stance The EC and especially the Competition chief Margrethe Vestager has logical doubts regarding this acquisition as there is chance that it will lower competition and increase prices. More specifically, Commissioner Margrethe Vestager has mentioned on the case:
“Trains and the signalling equipment that guide them are essential for transport in Europe. The Commission will investigate whether the proposed acquisition of Alstom by Siemens would deprive European rail operators of a choice of suppliers and innovative products, and lead to higher prices, which could ultimately harm the millions of Europeans who use rail transportation every day for work or leisure.”
Siemens-Alstom last merger’s attempts Last month, competition officials from the UK, Holland, Spain and Belgium sent a letter to Commissioner Vestager where they said that Siemens and Alstom have not made enough compromises as they are required to and by extension this merger should not proceed. However, both companies are pushing forward the sale of train equipment assets as a last resort to persuade the EC that this acquisition must be materialized. According to Bloomberg though, Alstom supports that no more assets will be sold in order to assure the approval of the EC on the issue. Franco-German alliance Both France and Germany support the acquisition of Alstom by Siemens. The will of the two governments to consolidate their power in Europe and their economies ahead of the upcoming EU elections next May is more than apparent. The two companies are merging in order to be able to create an huge EU train maker conglomerate that will be able to compete with the Chinese rival CRRC (China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation) and Canada’s Bombardier Transportation. French Economy Minister Bruno Le Maire mentioned last Sunday that a decision against this acquisition would affect the European bloc’s industry. In detail, Mr. Le Maire said in a Europe 1 radio interview:
“If the European Commission was to make an unfavorable decision regarding this merger, it would be for the wrong reasons. It would not only be an economic error but also a political mistake because it would weaken the whole European industry faced with China”.
Will the EC succumb to the political pressures or remain unaffected and refuse to the creation of a giant train maker which could change the current status quo? So far, Margrethe Vestager has shown her credibility by enforcing the EU laws strictly even, against US tech giant companies and despite EU’s long love, fear and admiration for the US. Nevertheless, an action such as the one to sell train assets has been welcomed by the EU officials. Will the train run over the EU consumers? All in all, it is quite certain that it would be a tough competition decision for the European Commission which has only about a month to consider all aspects and conditions ahead of the imminent European elections. Will the EC decide as a political stakeholder or regulator? What matters the most at the end of the day is not to please the shareholders of two of the biggest companies in Europe so that politicians can clap their hands at the EU elections night, but above anything else to protect the rights of the EU consumers who would be always left to be a helpless pray to any giant monopoly in the Old Continent.

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Imane El Maimouni, a 22-year-old fifth-year Moroccan medical student at the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy of Casablanca. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Who heals the healers?

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Levina Kulembeka, a Medical Doctor from Tanzania passionate about global health. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on […]
© WFP/Mohamad Al Hinnawi Brothers sitting outside their family’s tent in Gaza.

Middle East: 94 per cent need shelter in Gaza, Israel ramps up demolitions in Lebanon

This article is published in association with United Nations. Ninety-four cent of Gaza’s 2.1 million residents need shelter as Israeli gunfire and strikes continue inside the enclave, UN agencies and peacekeepers warned on Thursday. Key points More than four out of five families currently face critical or catastrophic living conditions, which lack fuel, energy and essential […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been […]
© UNRWA/Kazem Abu-Khalaf A girl looks out the window of her home in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, where she and other family members were trapped during an Israeli military operation.

Raising alarm over new illegal Israeli outposts, UN condemns attacks, incitement against Palestinians

This article is published in association with United Nations. Reports of new illegal Israeli outposts in the occupied West Bank raised alarms at UN Headquarters on Wednesday while the UN rights office called on Israel to condemn its national security minister’s words that incite “violence amounting to atrocity crimes” against Palestinians. Key points “The Secretary-General is […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Gaza: Only three per cent of cropland available to grow food

Amid ongoing deadly hostilities in Gaza, the enclave’s farmers face the increasingly difficult challenge of finding safe land to grow their crops. Satellite images published on Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNOSAT, the UN Satellite Centre, indicate that just three per cent (448 hectares) of the shattered enclave’s […]
© UNOCHA/Themba Linden A UN team inspects an unexploded bomb lying on a main road in Khan Younis, Gaza.

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarian workers have reached Palestinian families who had been trapped for days by Israeli settlers in Qusra village in the northern West Bank, the UN said on Monday, as officials warned that the standoff must not become “the new normal.” UN teams on the ground reached the […]
© UNFPA Palestine A woman and two children walk near the city of Jenin in the West Bank.

900 obstacles and counting: West Bank families trapped as aid access shrinks

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarians continue to provide life-saving assistance to people across the Occupied Palestinian Territory despite facing obstacles such as checkpoints, instability and access restrictions, the United Nations said on Friday.  In the West Bank, aid partners warn that their work “is being delayed and limited by a network […]
© UNICEF/Eyad El Baba A nine-year-old girl outside her damaged home in Nuseirat camp in central Gaza.

Gaza: Destruction of buildings rises by nearly 10 per cent since ceasefire

This article is published in association with United Nations. New satellite assessments show the destruction of buildings in Gaza has climbed by nearly 10 per cent since October’s faltering ceasefire between Hamas and Israeli forces aim to end the two-year war, which reduced cities to rubble and displaced more than one million people, UN agencies said […]
© SOS Méditerranée/Anthony Jean A team completed a rescue mission, saving 98 people from a dangerous journey in the central Mediterranean region in 2020. (file)

Migrant deaths climb sharply in 2026, new UN data shows

This article is published in association with United Nations. Severe weather, war, economic pressure and shifting policies reshaped migration journeys across multiple regions in the first four months of 2026, driving a surge in deaths, according to new data released on Wednesday by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The agency’s newest route-based data shows a […]
© UNFPA Emergency responders walk through a debris-strewn street in Quibdó in northern Colombia following the earthquake.

UN continues scaling up response to earthquake in Colombia

This article is published in association with United Nations. The UN on Wednesday continued scaling up assistance to areas affected by the deadly earthquake that hit Colombia two days earlier. Tweet URL https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?creatorScreenName=UN_News_Centre&dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=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%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=2087424955390865660&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.un.org%2Fen%2Fstory%2F2026%2F08%2F1168128&sessionId=9eb4055aa89180f054a0f5e31c06fbfd46ddaf0c&siteScreenName=UN_News_Centre&theme=light&widgetsVersion=6a3ad42b224df%3A1778106238597&width=550px According to latest official figures, the 7.4 magnitude quake has left more than 200 dead and injured over 2,500, said UN Deputy Spokesperson […]
© UN News/Isaiah Steinberg Participants gather at the Youth and AI Summit at UN Headquarters in New York.

Youth advocates gather in New York to launch new AI standards

This article is published in association with United Nations. As artificial intelligence (AI) rapidly transforms everything from how we learn, to the job market, children are adopting the technology more than three times faster than adults – exposing them to unique opportunities and risks. The UN hosted more than 600 young people from around the world on […]
© ILO/Marcel Crozet A street seller in Kisumu, Kenya. "“A generation that cannot find decent work cannot build its future with confidence,” said UN labour agency chief Gilbert Houngbo.

After post-pandemic improvement, youth unemployment is rising again

This article is published in association with United Nations. Frustrated by skyrocketing youth unemployment, among other issues, tens of thousands of Gen Z activists took to the streets of Nepal last year, demanding a stake in the country’s economic growth. The protest worked and the prime minister resigned. A new report published Tuesday by the UN’s International […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

World marks second warmest July on record

This article is published in association with United Nations. As multiple regions contend with unbearable heat, drought, wildfires and other extreme weather, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday underlined the crucial need for stronger forecasts and early warning systems to protect lives and livelihoods.  The UN agency said the past month was the second warmest July on record worldwide, according to the […]
UNIFIL UNIFIL continues to supply local communities with essentials.

Lebanon: UN peacekeepers count hundreds of Israeli strikes and incursions in a single weekend

This article is published in association with United Nations. Israeli forces fired 455 projectiles into south Lebanon and breached Lebanese airspace 97 times between Friday and Sunday, the UN’s peacekeeping mission in the country reported Monday – among the heaviest fire seen in months. UNIFIL said Saturday alone accounted for 229 of those projectiles, the highest […]
© WHO/Josua Mulala Raymond A health worker is disinfected at an Ebola treatment centre in the eastern DR Congo.

Ebola in DR Congo: Childhood deaths rise; hopes raised over new vaccine

This article is published in association with United Nations. More than 300 children have died in the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN said on Friday, as health experts urged trials of the only vaccine against the disease to halt further spread of the rare Bundibugyo species. Children and […]
PAHO/WHO The coastline of Havana, Cuba. The country is grappling with severe fuel shortages and blackouts following oil import sanctions imposed this year by the US.

Cuba: Independent experts condemn new US sanctions as humanitarian crisis deepens

This article is published in association with United Nations. Independent UN human rights experts on Thursday condemned a fresh round of US sanctions against Cuba, calling them an attempt to force change on “a sovereign State through threats and coercion.” The Human Rights Council–appointed group of experts warned that without swift action from the international community […]
© UNOCHA Local residents pass a severely damaged apartment building and an overturned car in a residential area in Kyiv, Ukraine.

‘A clear violation’: Guterres deplores deadliest attack on Kyiv this year

This article is published in association with United Nations. UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned on Wednesday the deadliest Russian strikes on Kyiv this year, which killed 17 people and caused extensive damage to civilian infrastructure overnight. On the heels of the deadliest month for Ukrainian civilians since the early days of the war, Mr. Guterres expressed concern that […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Filippov Families shelter in a Kyiv metro station during an overnight air-raid on the Ukrainian capital.

UN reports deadly month for Ukrainian civilians as Russian attacks intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Russian forces hammered Ukraine with ballistic missiles and long-range drones overnight on Tuesday, killing at least 17 civilians – mainly around Kyiv – and injuring another 44, the UN human rights office in Ukraine reported. The latest Russian attacks mark an increasingly deadly escalation in the ongoing war, […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com