EU accused of being too nice with Gazprom in the infamous antitrust case

vestager-eu-commissioner-competition

Participation of Margrethe Vestager, Member of the EC in charge of Competition, in the debates of the ‘Journées de Bruxelles’. Date: 19/10/2016 Reference: P-032676/00-17 Location: Brussels – Bozar. © European Union , 2016 / Source: EC – Audiovisual Service / Photo: François Walschaerts

Last week came to be a crucial one for the long-standing dispute between the Russian energy giant Gazprom and the European Union. Gazprom will work on a compromise with EU regulators and will finalise a deal to end a five-year antitrust case avoiding fines and any other imposed term, according to official declaration. The news represent a turning point in the business relations between the state-controlled Russian energy group and Brussels, although the bargain leaves some open points untouched and a few member states furious. The background In September 2012 the European Commission opened a formal procedure to investigate “whether Gazprom was hindering competition in Central and Eastern European gas markets, in breach of EU competition law”, as explained back then in an official EU statement. In particular, the Commission had then concerns that Gazprom was abusing its dominant market position and so decided to look into the company’s moves. The alleged prevention of diversification of gas supplies and the application of unfair pricing by linking oil and gas prices in long-term contacts by Gazprom fell under the strict lens of European Regulators. The Russian Federation responded by issuing a blocking legislation, which introduced a default rule prohibiting Russian strategic firms, including Gazprom, to comply with any foreign measures or requests. A sort of “energy war” began, with also the Ukrainian crisis and the dramatic situation in Syria in the background playing a substantial role in this thorny matter. Ice thawing? Last week Gazprom’s Vice President Alexander Medvedev and Russia’s Vice Minister of Energy Anatoly Yanovsky, after having met on Wednesday with European Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager announced a thaw in relations with the EU. “We are now putting the final touch to our commitment proposal. It will be sent to the European Commission shortly”, said Medvedev in a statement after the meeting. Mr. Medvedev also affirmed talks have been “constructive” and that “the sides expressed desire to work out a mutually acceptable decision”. The European side of the table sounded a bit less optimistic though. “We have made progress but there is still quite some work ahead,” underscored Commissioner Vestager in a statement, adding that “all options remain on the table at this stage”. “Our goal is to achieve the best outcome for European households and businesses”, she was quoted. The meeting represented a milestone in this crucial antitrust case. Delicate choice The Gazprom case represents one of the biggest antitrust investigations launched by the European Commission and an unprecedented test bed for the EU’s executive arm to draw the line of competition in the delicate energy sector within the European continent. The decision to pursue a settlement with Gazprom, which could have risked fines of up to 10% of its annual revenue, is a very delicate choice made by Ms. Vestager. “We have discussed the possibility of Gazprom making commitments to address, in a forward-looking manner, the Commission’s competition concerns”, Vestager stressed, as reported. “To be effective, such measures would have to ensure the free flow of gas in central and Eastern Europe at competitive prices”, she also said. Eastern European concerns Former-communist EU member states like Poland and Lithuania, which have allegedly been damaged by unfair gas pricing imposed by Gazprom along with Bulgaria, Estonia and Latvia, have been long-waiting for the EU to rule on the case, and apparently not everyone liked the EU Commissioner’s decision. Right after the news came out, Polish oil and gas company PGNiG said it could sue the European Commission if the deal with Gazprom will ever see the light and no fine will be imposed on the Russian giant. “These decisions pose a real threat to the stability of gas supplies to Central and Eastern Europe”, said PGNiG in an official statement. Lifted cap for Gazprom Poland’s PGNiG opposed also to another decision by the European Commission over its energy relations with Gazprom, and so with Russia. The EC and the German federal agency for gas, telecom and transport, the Bundesnetzagentur, decided on Friday to lift the existing cap on the Russian gas company’s access to the Opal pipeline in Germany. The pipeline takes gas from Russia’s Nord Stream Baltic Sea pipeline and so the agreement de-facto gives Moscow a chance to expand the pipeline and bypass Ukraine when supplying gas to Europe. Enlarged capacity Until now, Gazprom was allowed to use only 50% of the pipeline’s capacity. Under the new rules Russia’s state gas exporter, which supplies around a third of the EU’s gas, will keep the 50% it already had and it will need to give up from 10% to 20% capacity to competitors, but will also be granted the right to bid for the remaining 30%-40%, or 7.7 billion cubic metres of gas. The decision by the European Commission, which applies until 2033, was not only a way to mend its relations with Moscow, but also an attempt to trigger competition. “This is not just a decision we’ve taken for political reasons, that we want to be friends with Gazprom”, a Commission official reportedly said on Friday. Indeed Reuters reported the decision modifies a proposal made by Germany in May that would have given Gazprom almost full access to the pipeline. Hard to digest The Commission’s decision still though looks hard to digest for many. Vestager’s compromised approach towards Gazprom looks surprisingly mild compared to how the Commissioner has dealt with American giants like Apple and Google in other antitrust cases in the past. The strong statement by Poland’s government-owned oil and gas company PGNiG indeed already shows that the resolutions by the Commission won’t be welcomed by cheering shouts. “PGNiG SA is ready to sue both Decisions of the European Commission to the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the Bundesnetzagentur’s decision to the German courts immediately after their announcement”, said PGNiG in one of its its statements. More guarantees All in all, the EU tries to guarantee that Gazprom will enter the European market under strict rules and that this will facilitate the resolution of pending delicate questions. According to Reuters , as part of the deal, Gazprom will now have to show more flexibility regarding prices and will drop clauses in its supply contracts with wholesalers and some industrial customers, barring them from exporting its gas to other countries. The general feeling is also that the EU will have something else in exchange. By lifting the cap on Opal pipeline Brussels hopes that Gazprom will also keep piping gas across Ukraine, even after its current contract expires in 2019. The European Energy Chief Maros Sefcovic said last week he was “making a maximum effort” to facilitate a deal between Russia and Ukraine to ensure “uninterrupted gas” supplies for Ukraine this winter. “So far we haven’t been successful, but I plan to meet with the Russia partner soon”, Mr. Sefcovic told Reuters. In short, many open points remain but it is almost certain that there will be more turning points after the EU-Gazprom compromise, and that last week’s news is potentially opening another, entirely new phase of the complex Brussels-Moscow question.

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

© UNICEF/Josue Mulala Emergency aid is prepared for delivery to Kasaï province in response to the recently declared Ebola virus disease outbreak in DR Congo.

Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

This article is published in association with United Nations. The deadly Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda does not represent a global pandemic emergency, although the risk is high at a regional and national level, the UN health agency chief said on Wednesday. In an update on the fast-developing situation in […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

How the Hormuz crisis keeps disrupting kitchens, ports and paychecks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran may have eased fears of a wider regional war, but persistent instability around the Strait of Hormuz continues to disrupt global trade, drive up energy costs and fuel a growing jobs and cost-of-living crisis. The fallout is being […]
© UNFPA Ukraine In March 2026, a maternity hospital in Odesa, Ukraine was attacked by Russian forces.

World News in Brief: More attacks in Ukraine, violence against children in Haiti, refugee IDs in Africa

This article is published in association with United Nations. Civilians, including humanitarians, continue to face great danger across war-torn Ukraine amid ongoing hostilities, according to the UN humanitarian relief coordination office there, OCHA. Over the past three days, frontline attacks killed at least 11 civilians and injured nearly 200 others, including five children, as reported by […]
UN Photo/Milton Grant Sculpture depicting St. George slaying the dragon. The dragon is created from fragments of Soviet SS-20 andUnited States Pershing nuclear missiles.

Nuclear terror threat ‘has never been so high’

This article is published in association with United Nations. The widespread availability of new technology, such as militarised drones and artificial intelligence, means that the current threat of nuclear terrorism is higher than it has ever been. The humanitarian, environmental, and economic consequences of a radiological or nuclear terrorist attack would be global, undermining international peace […]
© UNICEF/Nyan Zay Htet Recent disruptions to energy supplies and global supply chains have reverberated across development and humanitarian sectors, including relief efforts in Myanmar, where millions remain in need of assistance.

Global energy and trade disruption pushing millions towards poverty

This article is published in association with United Nations. Disruptions to global energy supplies and trade corridors are driving up the cost of food, transport and essential goods worldwide, slowing economic growth and increasing pressure on vulnerable households and debt-strapped developing countries. The warnings came during a special meeting of the UN Economic and Social Council […]
UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe UN Relief Chief Tom Fletcher (centre) along with Ambassador Mike Waltz (right) and Jeremy P. Lewin of the United States hold a joint press briefing on funding to the humanitarian system.

UN welcomes $1.8 billion US boost for humanitarian operations

This article is published in association with United Nations. An additional $1.8 billion in US humanitarian funding will allow the United Nations and its partners to expand emergency relief operations reaching millions of people worldwide, as rising global needs and funding shortfalls force aid agencies to scale back assistance. The funding announcement, made on Wednesday by […]
© WHO/Hanan Balkhy Displaced families are living in overcrowded tents and makeshift shelters, surrounded by waste and debris, with limited access to safe water and sanitation services.

World News in Brief: Mounting waste in Gaza, drone attacks in Sudan, aid truck struck in Ukraine

This article is published in association with United Nations. Mounting waste and limited access to sanitation sites are deepening health risks for families across Gaza, as humanitarian workers warn that overcrowded dumping areas and worsening living conditions threaten vulnerable communities. Ramiz Alakbarov, UN’s top aid official in Occupied Palestinian Territory visited a dumping site in Gaza […]
This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Mr. Franco Miguel Nodado, a 4th-year medical student from the Philippines. He is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Autism Spectrum Disorders in Global Health: Bridging the Gap in  Awareness, Early Diagnosis, and Inclusive Care 

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Georgia Maria Vardalachaki, a medical student from the Medical University of Crete, Greece. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s […]
© WHO/Hedinn Halldorsson WHO Director-General Tedros and a health expert during operations involving the MV Hondius off Tenerife amid the hantavirus response.

Hantavirus-hit ship evacuation completed as quarantines begin

This article is published in association with United Nations. The passengers and crew have disembarked from the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in Tenerife and many have returned to their home countries, as the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said the operation demonstrated a “triumph of solidarity”. The repatriation effort, coordinated by Spanish authorities with support […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Strait of Hormuz de-escalation is urgent, says UN chief

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens and tensions between Iran and the United States remain unresolved, oil prices rose again early Monday, prompting the UN Secretary-General to call for a peaceful resolution and warn of the widening fallout across Africa and beyond. “My strong appeal is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Ukraine: Over 3,000 attacks on healthcare since full-scale Russian invasion

This article is published in association with United Nations. The World Health Organization (WHO) has verified more than 3,000 attacks on healthcare in Ukraine since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, the UN agency reported on Friday. “During 1,534 days of war, Ukraine’s healthcare system has experienced repeated attacks,” it said.  Every aspect of the system has been […]
WHO Passengers from MV Hondius assisted by Spanish and WHO health teams after disembarking.

Passengers leave hantavirus-hit cruise ship in Tenerife as WHO says outbreak ‘not another COVID’

This article is published in association with United Nations. Passengers and crew from the cruise ship MV Hondius began disembarking in Tenerife on Sunday under a tightly coordinated international health operation led by Spanish authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO), as officials sought to reassure the public that the outbreak “is not another COVID.” The […]
Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

This article is published in association with United Nations. As global electricity demand grows, so does the popularity of nuclear energy. In the Middle East, several countries are evaluating or advancing nuclear power projects, balancing weighty issues such as regional security, climatic conditions and international cooperation. “Nuclear energy is at the intersection of energy demands, technological […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Bahrain and US float Security Council resolution on the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Bahrain and the United States have circulated a draft Security Council resolution calling for Iran to cease attacks in the Strait of Hormuz, their ambassadors outlined to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York on Thursday. The text is supported by Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the […]
© CDC An enhanced microscopic image shows the Hantavirus.

Hantavirus outbreak: Another passenger contracts disease

This article is published in association with United Nations. It’s been confirmed that another passenger from the cruise liner linked to the outbreak of hantavirus has contracted the disease, which has claimed the lives of three people on board and sparked an international alert coordinated by the UN World Health Organization (WHO). The individual, who is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

UN warns of worsening human rights crisis in Mali after deadly attacks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The human rights situation in Mali is rapidly deteriorating following coordinated attacks by armed groups across the country, with civilians killed, displaced and cut off from food and aid, UN rights office OHCHR said on Tuesday. The violence, which erupted on 25 and 26 April, saw large-scale […]
© UNICEF A damaged ambulance in Tebnine in southern Lebanon.

In Lebanon, the same fears and dangers persist despite ceasefire: UNHCR

This article is published in association with United Nations. Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday. “Civilians in the south of Lebanon and parts of the Bekaa [Valley] are really living with the […]
© Unsplash/Planet Volumes A computer-generated image shows the Strait of Hormuz.

Uncertainty continues over safety in the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Amid claims and counter-claims of strikes and confrontations in the crucial Strait of Hormuz between Iran and the United States, UN maritime officials continue to urge vessels to exercise “maximum caution”. “We are aware of the reports but do not have further details. We continue to urge […]
© ADB/Ariel Javellana Women farmers in India sell wheat grain and buy fertilizer with the proceeds.

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and the rights of the most vulnerable people worldwide, UN agencies warned on Friday. Heightened insecurity and instability around key Gulf routes, including […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com