Ebola: Motorbike riders carrying the sick may hold key to response boost

© UNOCHA An Ebola awareness poster stands on a rural road in Ituri Province in the eastern DR Congo.

This article is published in association with United Nations.


From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Key points

  • Ambulance attack highlights dangers facing responders
  • Motorbike riders are key to tracking infections
  • Surveillance and treatment capacity reinforced

“Almost on a daily basis we face some kind of reaction from the communities,” said Dr Thierno Baldé, WHO Incident Manager for the Bundibugyo virus disease in the DRC. “These are difficult situations. People are having their relatives who are sick, who are dying.”

Speaking via video from the outbreak’s epicentre in Bunia, the medic told reporters in Geneva that on Monday, one of the ambulances used in the response was attacked. It was not an isolated incident.

According to local authorities on Monday, the Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2,299 deaths recorded in the DRC’s 2018-2020 outbreak, previously the most lethal. The fatality rate has risen to 46 per cent, according to Government data. 

Dr Baldé said that the milestone of 5,000 confirmed cases has been crossed and confirmed that cases have been identified in a sixth province, Bas-Uele

Working day and night

“The situation is quite difficult, but people are working here days and nights trying to control this outbreak,” Dr Baldé insisted. 

We are really recentering all of the operational approach, all of our activities, around the engagement of the communities,” the WHO official said.

Describing the multi-pronged scale-up underway, he said that one of the key targets of the response is the association of motorbike riders, involved in the transport of patients and dead bodies. 

Hand-washing stations and disinfectant have been made available, but the new objective is to recruit them as surveillance and response officers, Dr Baldé said.

The WHO medic explained that the bikers are one of the most affected categories in the population because of their transport duties. Some have lost multiple family members to the virus. 

Because the motorbike riders are a key link in the chain of disease surveillance, they need to “be able to tell us wherever they transport a sick person”, contact the surveillance team and enable the suspected case to be tested, Dr Baldé explained. 

This grassroots engagement is taking place “in a very dignified manner”, Dr Baldé said, “by convincing them, explaining to them…this is for the good of themselves, the good of their family”.

Treatment capacity push

In other response measures, WHO plans to deploy 100 additional expert epidemiologists in health zones. They will be supported by more than 500 community health workers who can pursue contact tracing and identify infected individuals and convince them to seek treatment.

Some 400 beds have been added in facilities in various localities over the past two weeks.

Dr Baldé insisted that an extra push is needed to ensure safe and dignified burials “by engaging those local people who are doing that in the villages and equipping them with chlorine and gloves “to be able to handle these bodies in a very safe manner”.

The WHO official highlighted the localities of Lita and Nizi as examples of progress today, whereas “we were overwhelmed by the number of community deaths about six weeks ago, seven weeks ago”. 

“Today, we are reporting only few cases, few deaths, and those deaths are being safely and dignifiedly, buried at the right time…We have seen a kind of stabilization of the situation where we are capable of intervening as quick as possible,” he concluded. 

The outbreak of Ebola Bundibugyo virus disease, for which there is no vaccine and no approved treatment, was declared by DRC authorities on 15 May.

Experts meet

On Tuesday, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee met for the second time on the epidemic, which has already been declared a public health emergency of international concern. The panel was expected to advise on the current risk level in its recommendations to countries. 

In his remarks to the panel, WHO Director-General noted that clinical trials are advancing for vaccines and therapeutics specifically to treat Bundibugyo virus.

For the first time, two vaccines designed specifically against Bundibugyo virus have entered human trials; a separate vaccine has shown cross-protection in animal studies and it is being proposed for phase III trial. This is the third of four phases of clinical trials and often precedes approval for a new treatment.

The response still needs faster data sharing, enhanced surveillance, sustained financing, access and security, and stronger cross-border coordination,” Tedros insisted.

Equally, “we must also remember that Ebola is only one threat the people of DRC face, including maternal mortality, diarrheal disease, pneumonia, malaria, cholera and more”, the WHO chief stressed. “Even as we fight to end this epidemic, we cannot allow the response to disrupt access to other essential health services.”

According to WHO’s attacks on healthcare tracker, there have been 18 incidents – including six where people have died – since 1 January, including 14 on facilities, two on medical transport and 26 on health personnel and patients. 

♦ Receive daily updates directly in your inbox – Subscri


Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been […]
© UNRWA/Kazem Abu-Khalaf A girl looks out the window of her home in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, where she and other family members were trapped during an Israeli military operation.

Raising alarm over new illegal Israeli outposts, UN condemns attacks, incitement against Palestinians

This article is published in association with United Nations. Reports of new illegal Israeli outposts in the occupied West Bank raised alarms at UN Headquarters on Wednesday while the UN rights office called on Israel to condemn its national security minister’s words that incite “violence amounting to atrocity crimes” against Palestinians. Key points “The Secretary-General is […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Gaza: Only three per cent of cropland available to grow food

Amid ongoing deadly hostilities in Gaza, the enclave’s farmers face the increasingly difficult challenge of finding safe land to grow their crops. Satellite images published on Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNOSAT, the UN Satellite Centre, indicate that just three per cent (448 hectares) of the shattered enclave’s […]
© UNOCHA/Themba Linden A UN team inspects an unexploded bomb lying on a main road in Khan Younis, Gaza.

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarian workers have reached Palestinian families who had been trapped for days by Israeli settlers in Qusra village in the northern West Bank, the UN said on Monday, as officials warned that the standoff must not become “the new normal.” UN teams on the ground reached the […]
© UNFPA Palestine A woman and two children walk near the city of Jenin in the West Bank.

900 obstacles and counting: West Bank families trapped as aid access shrinks

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarians continue to provide life-saving assistance to people across the Occupied Palestinian Territory despite facing obstacles such as checkpoints, instability and access restrictions, the United Nations said on Friday.  In the West Bank, aid partners warn that their work “is being delayed and limited by a network […]
© UNICEF/Eyad El Baba A nine-year-old girl outside her damaged home in Nuseirat camp in central Gaza.

Gaza: Destruction of buildings rises by nearly 10 per cent since ceasefire

This article is published in association with United Nations. New satellite assessments show the destruction of buildings in Gaza has climbed by nearly 10 per cent since October’s faltering ceasefire between Hamas and Israeli forces aim to end the two-year war, which reduced cities to rubble and displaced more than one million people, UN agencies said […]
© SOS Méditerranée/Anthony Jean A team completed a rescue mission, saving 98 people from a dangerous journey in the central Mediterranean region in 2020. (file)

Migrant deaths climb sharply in 2026, new UN data shows

This article is published in association with United Nations. Severe weather, war, economic pressure and shifting policies reshaped migration journeys across multiple regions in the first four months of 2026, driving a surge in deaths, according to new data released on Wednesday by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The agency’s newest route-based data shows a […]
© UNFPA Emergency responders walk through a debris-strewn street in Quibdó in northern Colombia following the earthquake.

UN continues scaling up response to earthquake in Colombia

This article is published in association with United Nations. The UN on Wednesday continued scaling up assistance to areas affected by the deadly earthquake that hit Colombia two days earlier. Tweet URL https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?creatorScreenName=UN_News_Centre&dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3Nob3dfYmlyZHdhdGNoX3Bpdm90c19lbmFibGVkIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19kdXBsaWNhdGVfc2NyaWJlc190b19zZXR0aW5ncyI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdXNlX3Byb2ZpbGVfaW1hZ2Vfc2hhcGVfZW5hYmxlZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdmlkZW9faGxzX2R5bmFtaWNfbWFuaWZlc3RzXzE1MDgyIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRydWVfYml0cmF0ZSIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfbGVnYWN5X3RpbWVsaW5lX3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=2087424955390865660&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.un.org%2Fen%2Fstory%2F2026%2F08%2F1168128&sessionId=9eb4055aa89180f054a0f5e31c06fbfd46ddaf0c&siteScreenName=UN_News_Centre&theme=light&widgetsVersion=6a3ad42b224df%3A1778106238597&width=550px According to latest official figures, the 7.4 magnitude quake has left more than 200 dead and injured over 2,500, said UN Deputy Spokesperson […]
© UN News/Isaiah Steinberg Participants gather at the Youth and AI Summit at UN Headquarters in New York.

Youth advocates gather in New York to launch new AI standards

This article is published in association with United Nations. As artificial intelligence (AI) rapidly transforms everything from how we learn, to the job market, children are adopting the technology more than three times faster than adults – exposing them to unique opportunities and risks. The UN hosted more than 600 young people from around the world on […]
© ILO/Marcel Crozet A street seller in Kisumu, Kenya. "“A generation that cannot find decent work cannot build its future with confidence,” said UN labour agency chief Gilbert Houngbo.

After post-pandemic improvement, youth unemployment is rising again

This article is published in association with United Nations. Frustrated by skyrocketing youth unemployment, among other issues, tens of thousands of Gen Z activists took to the streets of Nepal last year, demanding a stake in the country’s economic growth. The protest worked and the prime minister resigned. A new report published Tuesday by the UN’s International […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

World marks second warmest July on record

This article is published in association with United Nations. As multiple regions contend with unbearable heat, drought, wildfires and other extreme weather, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday underlined the crucial need for stronger forecasts and early warning systems to protect lives and livelihoods.  The UN agency said the past month was the second warmest July on record worldwide, according to the […]
UNIFIL UNIFIL continues to supply local communities with essentials.

Lebanon: UN peacekeepers count hundreds of Israeli strikes and incursions in a single weekend

This article is published in association with United Nations. Israeli forces fired 455 projectiles into south Lebanon and breached Lebanese airspace 97 times between Friday and Sunday, the UN’s peacekeeping mission in the country reported Monday – among the heaviest fire seen in months. UNIFIL said Saturday alone accounted for 229 of those projectiles, the highest […]
© WHO/Josua Mulala Raymond A health worker is disinfected at an Ebola treatment centre in the eastern DR Congo.

Ebola in DR Congo: Childhood deaths rise; hopes raised over new vaccine

This article is published in association with United Nations. More than 300 children have died in the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN said on Friday, as health experts urged trials of the only vaccine against the disease to halt further spread of the rare Bundibugyo species. Children and […]
PAHO/WHO The coastline of Havana, Cuba. The country is grappling with severe fuel shortages and blackouts following oil import sanctions imposed this year by the US.

Cuba: Independent experts condemn new US sanctions as humanitarian crisis deepens

This article is published in association with United Nations. Independent UN human rights experts on Thursday condemned a fresh round of US sanctions against Cuba, calling them an attempt to force change on “a sovereign State through threats and coercion.” The Human Rights Council–appointed group of experts warned that without swift action from the international community […]
© UNOCHA Local residents pass a severely damaged apartment building and an overturned car in a residential area in Kyiv, Ukraine.

‘A clear violation’: Guterres deplores deadliest attack on Kyiv this year

This article is published in association with United Nations. UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned on Wednesday the deadliest Russian strikes on Kyiv this year, which killed 17 people and caused extensive damage to civilian infrastructure overnight. On the heels of the deadliest month for Ukrainian civilians since the early days of the war, Mr. Guterres expressed concern that […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Filippov Families shelter in a Kyiv metro station during an overnight air-raid on the Ukrainian capital.

UN reports deadly month for Ukrainian civilians as Russian attacks intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Russian forces hammered Ukraine with ballistic missiles and long-range drones overnight on Tuesday, killing at least 17 civilians – mainly around Kyiv – and injuring another 44, the UN human rights office in Ukraine reported. The latest Russian attacks mark an increasingly deadly escalation in the ongoing war, […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Fili Local residents wander among debris following a Russian missile attack in Kyiv, on 19 July 2026.

‘A playground, a beach, a home’: UNICEF demands end to child deaths in Russia-Ukraine war

This article is published in association with United Nations. As Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues, with both sides stepping up airstrikes and drone attacks in recent weeks deep inside each other’s territory, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) appealed on Tuesday for greater protection for the war’s youngest victims. “Over the past several days, children have again […]
Commission starts enforcing AI Act rules and new transparency requirements on 2 August

Drone strikes threaten civilians and aid operations in Sudan

This article is published in association with United Nations. Drone strikes are posing deadly risks to civilians in Sudan and hampering humanitarian efforts to reach them as attacks continue to affect conflict-hit areas, the UN aid coordination office OCHA said on Monday. The warning came a day after a deadly reported strike in the village of Ghara al […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com