World’s largest conference on women calls for equality amid gender backlash

(Credit: Unsplash)

This article is published in association with United Nations.


Gender equality is a critical goal at a time when the demand for rights faces a global backlash, top UN officials told thousands of diplomats, business and civil society delegates gathered at UN Headquarters in New York on Monday for the world’s largest annual conference focused on women’s issues.

The 69th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW69), which runs from 10 to 21 March, is instrumental in promoting women’s rights, documenting the reality of their lives throughout the world and shaping global standards on gender equality and empowerment. Last year, CSW68 was attended by 100 world leaders and 4,800 civil society participants.

This year’s session will review the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly as well as the landmark Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, adopted in 1995.

Read our explainer on CSW and why it matters now here.

‘Creating a better future for all’

For Loretta Jeff Combs from the Tlesqox First Nations in Canada, the Beijing Declaration is a key moment in history, paving the way for recognising the rights of Indigenous women and girls.

“Too often, Indigenous women are left out decision making spaces that impact our future,” she told delegates in the General Assembly Hall.

She pointed to the current situation in Canada, which is witnessing what amounts to a race-based genocide against Indigenous women and called for swift change.

“We need Indigenous women at all levels,” she said. “We need our youth to see that our voices matter. When we uplift Indigenous women, we create a better future for all.”

Watch the opening session below:

Bahous: ‘We are not afraid of the pushback’

In the same vein, Sima Bahous, who heads UN Women, cautioned that “misogyny is on the rise” at a time when females are bearing the brunt of multiple crises and conflict around the world.

While there has been progress in advancing women’s rights, it is not fast nor far-reaching enough, she said.

To change this, she called for action, including closing the digital divide, investing in ending poverty and strengthening laws to break the cycle of violence against women and girls. She also called for including women in key decision making and peacebuilding roles.

“We are not afraid of the pushback,” she said. “We will not back down.”

UN chief: How to tackle the ‘poison of patriarchy’

For the UN Secretary-General António Guterres, the “poison of patriarchy” is apparent while women’s rights are currently “under siege”.

“The masters of misogyny are gaining strength,” he said, pointing to the “bile” hurled at women online and leaders who “are happy to throw equality to the wolves”.

Mr. Guterres said the “antidote is action”, including the Pact for the Future and other efforts prioritising, among other things, investments in education, tackling violence against women and girls, supporting women’s organisations and human rights defenders, encouraging women’s leadership in technology and guaranteeing their full participation, from politics to peacebuilding.

“In these perilous times for women’s rights, we must rally around the Beijing Declaration, recommit to the Platform for Action and stand firm in making the promise of rights, equality and empowerment a reality for every woman and girl around the world,” the UN chief said.

Secretary-General António Guterres opens the sixty-ninth session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW69).

UN Photo/Manuel Elías

Secretary-General António Guterres opens the sixty-ninth session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW69).

‘We are at a defining moment’

The Secretary-General’s strong message wove through statements made by women, girls and other top UN officials at the opening meeting as well as at a wide range of side events taking place around the UN campus and online.

General Assembly President Philémon Yang highlighted gains made, but warned of challenges ahead.

While there are more elected women and girls at school since the Beijing Declaration was adopted 30 years ago, systemic obstacles continue to obstruct the path to equality, he said.

Political urgency and resources needed are not sufficient given the challenges we face,” he said.

At the current pace, it will take 137 years to lift all women out of poverty and 68 years to end child marriage, he warned, calling for the international community’s commitment to fully implement the “promise of Beijing” and shape a world that achieves common goals and equality is realised for all women and girls.

“I believe it is possible to achieve gender equality in our lifetime if we seize this opportunity,” he said. “We are at a defining moment.”

For live updates on CSW69, visit our Meetings Coverage Section, which runs a daily blog on this and other official meetings at UN Headquarters in English and French.

CSW69 side events: Power4Girls and more

Among the dozens of side events, several highlight the power of youth.

UN agencies are supporting education for girls in Sierra Leone.

WFP/Sierra Leone

UN agencies are supporting education for girls in Sierra Leone.

At the POWER4Girls: Invest in girls, transform the world event, girl champions will challenge the view that girl-led initiatives are too small to have a wide impact and that government systems are too large for meaningful reform.

With support from the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and co-hosted by the governments of Canada and Sierra Leone, discussions will explore how the global community can step up strategies and commitments through aligning policy solutions and multisectoral service delivery with the realities of girls’ lives and through the critical role of organising to drive collective and transformative impact.

Watch the Power4Girls event on UN Web TV here.

This is one of many daily events on the sidelines of the CSW session.

From spotlighting achievements to outlining challenges on the ground, visit CSW69 to find a schedule of side events planned for the full session here.


Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

This article is published in association with United Nations.

UN agencies step up Ebola response in eastern DR Congo

This article is published in association with United Nations. United Nations agencies have moved swiftly to support efforts to contain the latest Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), delivering emergency medical supplies, protective equipment and logistics support. As health authorities in both the DRC and Uganda respond to the deadly resurgence, the […]
© UNICEF/Josue Mulala Emergency aid is prepared for delivery to Kasaï province in response to the recently declared Ebola virus disease outbreak in DR Congo.

Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

This article is published in association with United Nations. The deadly Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda does not represent a global pandemic emergency, although the risk is high at a regional and national level, the UN health agency chief said on Wednesday. In an update on the fast-developing situation in […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

How the Hormuz crisis keeps disrupting kitchens, ports and paychecks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran may have eased fears of a wider regional war, but persistent instability around the Strait of Hormuz continues to disrupt global trade, drive up energy costs and fuel a growing jobs and cost-of-living crisis. The fallout is being […]
© UNFPA Ukraine In March 2026, a maternity hospital in Odesa, Ukraine was attacked by Russian forces.

World News in Brief: More attacks in Ukraine, violence against children in Haiti, refugee IDs in Africa

This article is published in association with United Nations. Civilians, including humanitarians, continue to face great danger across war-torn Ukraine amid ongoing hostilities, according to the UN humanitarian relief coordination office there, OCHA. Over the past three days, frontline attacks killed at least 11 civilians and injured nearly 200 others, including five children, as reported by […]
UN Photo/Milton Grant Sculpture depicting St. George slaying the dragon. The dragon is created from fragments of Soviet SS-20 andUnited States Pershing nuclear missiles.

Nuclear terror threat ‘has never been so high’

This article is published in association with United Nations. The widespread availability of new technology, such as militarised drones and artificial intelligence, means that the current threat of nuclear terrorism is higher than it has ever been. The humanitarian, environmental, and economic consequences of a radiological or nuclear terrorist attack would be global, undermining international peace […]
© UNICEF/Nyan Zay Htet Recent disruptions to energy supplies and global supply chains have reverberated across development and humanitarian sectors, including relief efforts in Myanmar, where millions remain in need of assistance.

Global energy and trade disruption pushing millions towards poverty

This article is published in association with United Nations. Disruptions to global energy supplies and trade corridors are driving up the cost of food, transport and essential goods worldwide, slowing economic growth and increasing pressure on vulnerable households and debt-strapped developing countries. The warnings came during a special meeting of the UN Economic and Social Council […]
UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe UN Relief Chief Tom Fletcher (centre) along with Ambassador Mike Waltz (right) and Jeremy P. Lewin of the United States hold a joint press briefing on funding to the humanitarian system.

UN welcomes $1.8 billion US boost for humanitarian operations

This article is published in association with United Nations. An additional $1.8 billion in US humanitarian funding will allow the United Nations and its partners to expand emergency relief operations reaching millions of people worldwide, as rising global needs and funding shortfalls force aid agencies to scale back assistance. The funding announcement, made on Wednesday by […]
© WHO/Hanan Balkhy Displaced families are living in overcrowded tents and makeshift shelters, surrounded by waste and debris, with limited access to safe water and sanitation services.

World News in Brief: Mounting waste in Gaza, drone attacks in Sudan, aid truck struck in Ukraine

This article is published in association with United Nations. Mounting waste and limited access to sanitation sites are deepening health risks for families across Gaza, as humanitarian workers warn that overcrowded dumping areas and worsening living conditions threaten vulnerable communities. Ramiz Alakbarov, UN’s top aid official in Occupied Palestinian Territory visited a dumping site in Gaza […]
This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Mr. Franco Miguel Nodado, a 4th-year medical student from the Philippines. He is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Autism Spectrum Disorders in Global Health: Bridging the Gap in  Awareness, Early Diagnosis, and Inclusive Care 

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Georgia Maria Vardalachaki, a medical student from the Medical University of Crete, Greece. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s […]
© WHO/Hedinn Halldorsson WHO Director-General Tedros and a health expert during operations involving the MV Hondius off Tenerife amid the hantavirus response.

Hantavirus-hit ship evacuation completed as quarantines begin

This article is published in association with United Nations. The passengers and crew have disembarked from the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in Tenerife and many have returned to their home countries, as the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said the operation demonstrated a “triumph of solidarity”. The repatriation effort, coordinated by Spanish authorities with support […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Strait of Hormuz de-escalation is urgent, says UN chief

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens and tensions between Iran and the United States remain unresolved, oil prices rose again early Monday, prompting the UN Secretary-General to call for a peaceful resolution and warn of the widening fallout across Africa and beyond. “My strong appeal is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Ukraine: Over 3,000 attacks on healthcare since full-scale Russian invasion

This article is published in association with United Nations. The World Health Organization (WHO) has verified more than 3,000 attacks on healthcare in Ukraine since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, the UN agency reported on Friday. “During 1,534 days of war, Ukraine’s healthcare system has experienced repeated attacks,” it said.  Every aspect of the system has been […]
WHO Passengers from MV Hondius assisted by Spanish and WHO health teams after disembarking.

Passengers leave hantavirus-hit cruise ship in Tenerife as WHO says outbreak ‘not another COVID’

This article is published in association with United Nations. Passengers and crew from the cruise ship MV Hondius began disembarking in Tenerife on Sunday under a tightly coordinated international health operation led by Spanish authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO), as officials sought to reassure the public that the outbreak “is not another COVID.” The […]
Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

This article is published in association with United Nations. As global electricity demand grows, so does the popularity of nuclear energy. In the Middle East, several countries are evaluating or advancing nuclear power projects, balancing weighty issues such as regional security, climatic conditions and international cooperation. “Nuclear energy is at the intersection of energy demands, technological […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Bahrain and US float Security Council resolution on the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Bahrain and the United States have circulated a draft Security Council resolution calling for Iran to cease attacks in the Strait of Hormuz, their ambassadors outlined to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York on Thursday. The text is supported by Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the […]
© CDC An enhanced microscopic image shows the Hantavirus.

Hantavirus outbreak: Another passenger contracts disease

This article is published in association with United Nations. It’s been confirmed that another passenger from the cruise liner linked to the outbreak of hantavirus has contracted the disease, which has claimed the lives of three people on board and sparked an international alert coordinated by the UN World Health Organization (WHO). The individual, who is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

UN warns of worsening human rights crisis in Mali after deadly attacks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The human rights situation in Mali is rapidly deteriorating following coordinated attacks by armed groups across the country, with civilians killed, displaced and cut off from food and aid, UN rights office OHCHR said on Tuesday. The violence, which erupted on 25 and 26 April, saw large-scale […]
© UNICEF A damaged ambulance in Tebnine in southern Lebanon.

In Lebanon, the same fears and dangers persist despite ceasefire: UNHCR

This article is published in association with United Nations. Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday. “Civilians in the south of Lebanon and parts of the Bekaa [Valley] are really living with the […]
© Unsplash/Planet Volumes A computer-generated image shows the Strait of Hormuz.

Uncertainty continues over safety in the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Amid claims and counter-claims of strikes and confrontations in the crucial Strait of Hormuz between Iran and the United States, UN maritime officials continue to urge vessels to exercise “maximum caution”. “We are aware of the reports but do not have further details. We continue to urge […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com