Brexit update: Will the EU grant extention to Britain preventing economic chaos?

Visit of Boris Johnson, British Prime Minister, to the EC
Date: 17/10/2019. Location: Belgium, Brussels – EC/Berlaymont. © European Union, 2019
Source: EC – Audiovisual Service. Photographer: Jennifer Jacquemart

It was only yesterday when the British MPs voted in favor of Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal but rejected the three-day legislation timetable which would have speeded up the procedure and met the deadline of October 31st. However, it is up to the EU now to decide whether to provide another extention to the ongoing negotiations and process or leave the UK exit the bloc without a deal; something that seems quite unlikely. Background Last Thursday the European Union together with Britain announced that both reached to an agreement on the text of the Brexit deal, also known as the Withdrawal Agreement Bill. Two days later, the UK government convened in order to decide whether or not to support the deal brought by the prime minister. But the MPs called for an amendment of the deal until the Withdrawal Agreement Bill is approved by both the Commons and Lords and passed into law. This forced the UK prime minister to ask for a Brexit extention beyond October 31 delaying the procedure even more, causing serious turbulences to the EU and world economies and leaving the EU to decide whether to grant another extention or let the UK on its own without a deal. But the EU is waiting till the end of the month to see if there will be any last changes before deciding. Tuesday’s vote The House of Commons voted yesterday 329 to 299 in favour of the second reading of the withdrawal bill. However, the MPs voted 322 to 308 against UK prime minister’s three-day legislation timetable for the Bill which composes the main piece of law to implement the deal reached with the EU last week. This basically means that Boris Johnson has no time to get his agreement approved as there are only eight days left till the EU deadline expires. Following this outcome, the UK prime minister said yesterday that will call for general elections in case the EU accepts a delay. More specifically, Boris Johnson mentioned that: “If Parliament refuses to allow Brexit to happen and instead gets its way and decides to delay everything until January or possibly longer, in no circumstances can the government continue with this. And with great regret, I must say the bill will have to be pulled and we will have to go forward to a general election”. All the statements of the UK prime minister didn’t intimidate the MPs who voted against the fast-track legislation process leading to Boris Johnson’s defeat. EU’s response The EU has not yet responded to the UK prime minister regarding the Brexit extension of three-months and awaits the UK parliament’s decisions to take place. The “ball” is now on the EU court and will have to provide the requested extention to the UK for the legislation to be concluded and the UK parliament to approve the deal. The latter will occur of course in case the MPs find the “golden” solution to this long-lasting thorny issue. European Council President Donald Tusk stated yesterday in Strasbourg that the extention request was under discussion with the EU leaders of the 27 member states and a decision will be made “in the coming days”. More specifically, President Tusk said: “A no-deal Brexit will never be our decision”. By saying so, Mr Tusk expressed the EU stance on Brexit but it remains to be seen for how long the EU will back up UK extending its exit from the Old Continent. Will the EU extend Brexit? As it seems Brexit is going to continue tormenting the EU and UK creating political and economic limbo to the EU edifice. So far both Theresa May and Boris Johnson were unable to come to an agreement with the EU which is ratified by the UK parliament. Will there be a prime minister who will conclude Brexit with a deal? The EU is most likely going to provide more time to Britain to find out a way to manage the procedure successfully and exit the bloc with an accord. All in all, no wise man is willing to see the UK leaving the EU without striking a deal as it will be disastrous not only for the EU and UK but for the whole world as well.

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Imane El Maimouni, a 22-year-old fifth-year Moroccan medical student at the Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy of Casablanca. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Who heals the healers?

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Levina Kulembeka, a Medical Doctor from Tanzania passionate about global health. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on […]
© WFP/Mohamad Al Hinnawi Brothers sitting outside their family’s tent in Gaza.

Middle East: 94 per cent need shelter in Gaza, Israel ramps up demolitions in Lebanon

This article is published in association with United Nations. Ninety-four cent of Gaza’s 2.1 million residents need shelter as Israeli gunfire and strikes continue inside the enclave, UN agencies and peacekeepers warned on Thursday. Key points More than four out of five families currently face critical or catastrophic living conditions, which lack fuel, energy and essential […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been […]
© UNRWA/Kazem Abu-Khalaf A girl looks out the window of her home in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, where she and other family members were trapped during an Israeli military operation.

Raising alarm over new illegal Israeli outposts, UN condemns attacks, incitement against Palestinians

This article is published in association with United Nations. Reports of new illegal Israeli outposts in the occupied West Bank raised alarms at UN Headquarters on Wednesday while the UN rights office called on Israel to condemn its national security minister’s words that incite “violence amounting to atrocity crimes” against Palestinians. Key points “The Secretary-General is […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Gaza: Only three per cent of cropland available to grow food

Amid ongoing deadly hostilities in Gaza, the enclave’s farmers face the increasingly difficult challenge of finding safe land to grow their crops. Satellite images published on Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNOSAT, the UN Satellite Centre, indicate that just three per cent (448 hectares) of the shattered enclave’s […]
© UNOCHA/Themba Linden A UN team inspects an unexploded bomb lying on a main road in Khan Younis, Gaza.

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarian workers have reached Palestinian families who had been trapped for days by Israeli settlers in Qusra village in the northern West Bank, the UN said on Monday, as officials warned that the standoff must not become “the new normal.” UN teams on the ground reached the […]
© UNFPA Palestine A woman and two children walk near the city of Jenin in the West Bank.

900 obstacles and counting: West Bank families trapped as aid access shrinks

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarians continue to provide life-saving assistance to people across the Occupied Palestinian Territory despite facing obstacles such as checkpoints, instability and access restrictions, the United Nations said on Friday.  In the West Bank, aid partners warn that their work “is being delayed and limited by a network […]
© UNICEF/Eyad El Baba A nine-year-old girl outside her damaged home in Nuseirat camp in central Gaza.

Gaza: Destruction of buildings rises by nearly 10 per cent since ceasefire

This article is published in association with United Nations. New satellite assessments show the destruction of buildings in Gaza has climbed by nearly 10 per cent since October’s faltering ceasefire between Hamas and Israeli forces aim to end the two-year war, which reduced cities to rubble and displaced more than one million people, UN agencies said […]
© SOS Méditerranée/Anthony Jean A team completed a rescue mission, saving 98 people from a dangerous journey in the central Mediterranean region in 2020. (file)

Migrant deaths climb sharply in 2026, new UN data shows

This article is published in association with United Nations. Severe weather, war, economic pressure and shifting policies reshaped migration journeys across multiple regions in the first four months of 2026, driving a surge in deaths, according to new data released on Wednesday by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The agency’s newest route-based data shows a […]
© UNFPA Emergency responders walk through a debris-strewn street in Quibdó in northern Colombia following the earthquake.

UN continues scaling up response to earthquake in Colombia

This article is published in association with United Nations. The UN on Wednesday continued scaling up assistance to areas affected by the deadly earthquake that hit Colombia two days earlier. Tweet URL https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?creatorScreenName=UN_News_Centre&dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=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%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=2087424955390865660&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.un.org%2Fen%2Fstory%2F2026%2F08%2F1168128&sessionId=9eb4055aa89180f054a0f5e31c06fbfd46ddaf0c&siteScreenName=UN_News_Centre&theme=light&widgetsVersion=6a3ad42b224df%3A1778106238597&width=550px According to latest official figures, the 7.4 magnitude quake has left more than 200 dead and injured over 2,500, said UN Deputy Spokesperson […]
© UN News/Isaiah Steinberg Participants gather at the Youth and AI Summit at UN Headquarters in New York.

Youth advocates gather in New York to launch new AI standards

This article is published in association with United Nations. As artificial intelligence (AI) rapidly transforms everything from how we learn, to the job market, children are adopting the technology more than three times faster than adults – exposing them to unique opportunities and risks. The UN hosted more than 600 young people from around the world on […]
© ILO/Marcel Crozet A street seller in Kisumu, Kenya. "“A generation that cannot find decent work cannot build its future with confidence,” said UN labour agency chief Gilbert Houngbo.

After post-pandemic improvement, youth unemployment is rising again

This article is published in association with United Nations. Frustrated by skyrocketing youth unemployment, among other issues, tens of thousands of Gen Z activists took to the streets of Nepal last year, demanding a stake in the country’s economic growth. The protest worked and the prime minister resigned. A new report published Tuesday by the UN’s International […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

World marks second warmest July on record

This article is published in association with United Nations. As multiple regions contend with unbearable heat, drought, wildfires and other extreme weather, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday underlined the crucial need for stronger forecasts and early warning systems to protect lives and livelihoods.  The UN agency said the past month was the second warmest July on record worldwide, according to the […]
UNIFIL UNIFIL continues to supply local communities with essentials.

Lebanon: UN peacekeepers count hundreds of Israeli strikes and incursions in a single weekend

This article is published in association with United Nations. Israeli forces fired 455 projectiles into south Lebanon and breached Lebanese airspace 97 times between Friday and Sunday, the UN’s peacekeeping mission in the country reported Monday – among the heaviest fire seen in months. UNIFIL said Saturday alone accounted for 229 of those projectiles, the highest […]
© WHO/Josua Mulala Raymond A health worker is disinfected at an Ebola treatment centre in the eastern DR Congo.

Ebola in DR Congo: Childhood deaths rise; hopes raised over new vaccine

This article is published in association with United Nations. More than 300 children have died in the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN said on Friday, as health experts urged trials of the only vaccine against the disease to halt further spread of the rare Bundibugyo species. Children and […]
PAHO/WHO The coastline of Havana, Cuba. The country is grappling with severe fuel shortages and blackouts following oil import sanctions imposed this year by the US.

Cuba: Independent experts condemn new US sanctions as humanitarian crisis deepens

This article is published in association with United Nations. Independent UN human rights experts on Thursday condemned a fresh round of US sanctions against Cuba, calling them an attempt to force change on “a sovereign State through threats and coercion.” The Human Rights Council–appointed group of experts warned that without swift action from the international community […]
© UNOCHA Local residents pass a severely damaged apartment building and an overturned car in a residential area in Kyiv, Ukraine.

‘A clear violation’: Guterres deplores deadliest attack on Kyiv this year

This article is published in association with United Nations. UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned on Wednesday the deadliest Russian strikes on Kyiv this year, which killed 17 people and caused extensive damage to civilian infrastructure overnight. On the heels of the deadliest month for Ukrainian civilians since the early days of the war, Mr. Guterres expressed concern that […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Filippov Families shelter in a Kyiv metro station during an overnight air-raid on the Ukrainian capital.

UN reports deadly month for Ukrainian civilians as Russian attacks intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Russian forces hammered Ukraine with ballistic missiles and long-range drones overnight on Tuesday, killing at least 17 civilians – mainly around Kyiv – and injuring another 44, the UN human rights office in Ukraine reported. The latest Russian attacks mark an increasingly deadly escalation in the ongoing war, […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com