Trump doesn’t only target Germany, aims to crack the entire EU

NATO Summit in Brussels, 11-12 July 2018. Yesterday the American President Donald Trump and the Secretary General Jens Soltenberg faced the press ahead of their breakfast meeting at the Alliance’s headquarters. (NATO audiovisual services photo).

The EU-US trade war is now deeply dividing Europe between those who export cars to America and those who don’t. Germany and France have for quite some time been at odds, regarding the handling of the latest Donald Trump threat to impose import super-tariffs on cars assembled in Europe. Now, however, their differences are becoming uncontrollable. The German media openly accuse Paris for not caring enough about Berlin’s troubles haunting its more competitive industry, which supports the welfare of the entire country, the automotive sector. On this account, Berlin favors concessions to the US, while Paris longs for tough collective retaliation. France doesn’t export cars to America, while last year 494,000 automobiles assembled in Germany were sold in the US. The US President is reportedly furious seeing Mercedes, BMWs and Audis speeding on 5th Avenue. There is a story going about in New York saying that Trump has vowed to see the day when no German cars will be driving around the town main street all over America. Targeting Germany In the latest incident, yesterday, the US President once more attacked Germany for working with Russia, to build the Nord Stream II gas pipeline supplying the country with Russian natural gas. In the presence of NATO Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, and ahead of the NATO Summit in Brussels, he told reporters “So we’re supposed to protect you (Germany) against Russia and you pay billions of dollars to Russia and I think that’s very inappropriate….Germany will have almost 70 percent of their country controlled by Russia with natural gas. You tell me, is that appropriate?” Obviously, Trump would have preferred Germany to buy American natural gas transported over the North Atlantic. Things, however, are not that straightforward. The Americans have understood the EU is going to have a hard time responding collectively in force to their possible new round of tariffs – after the initial US levies on imports of steel and aluminum – this time to be imposed by Washington on European-assembled cars. Cars, NATO and money Cars are not the only topic Donald Trump is furious about regarding Germany. He has publicly asked the German Chancellor Angela Merkel to pay NATO and the US hundreds of billions of dollars in arrears. He told her that for decades her country failed to spend 2% of its GDP on armaments. So, by spending less the difference is owed to NATO and the US. The Americans allege they cover 80% of NATO’s costs, a percentage widely contested by the Europeans, who insist this is only 15%. For one thing, it’s practically impossible to calculate this percentage even with a large margin of error. The relevant necessary assumptions are wildly massive, regarding who was serviced and to what extent from the existence of NATO, and who contributed what to the functioning of the Alliance. It’s practically impossible, then, to calculate NATO costs and benefits in an acceptable and reliable way. Targeting EU’s unity Whatever the truth is about who pays and who benefits from NATO, the hot issue is currently the automotive sector of Germany. In any case, the Americans are using both subjects to corner the Europeans. Yesterday and today, Wednesday and Thursday 11 and 12 July, NATO holds its Summit, and the US President, being in practice and in theory the supreme leader of the North Atlantic military alliance, will preside over the gathering. What he is going to say there must be of paramount importance and Trump has already given more than one hint about it. According to Reuters, at a rally last week he told his supporters, “I’m going to tell NATO: You’ve got to start paying your bills. The United States is not going to take care of everything” then he added “They kill us on trade.” Obviously, Washington is going to play hard on both pitches, NATO and automotive, against the Europeans. Trump has repeatedly warned about his new import tariff of 20% on European cars. So, the NATO Summit will also hear Trump’s trade challenges against the EU, as if the Alliance was an international trade conference. The American aggression though this time is well organized. Last Wednesday, the US Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell summoned the executives of the major German automotive firms to his office for a secret meeting. An offer you cannot refuse What he told them was quite unexpected. Grenell revealed Washington is prepared to propose the abolishment of all tariffs and non-tariff barriers on imports of cars by both sides. According to Handelsblatt Global – a reliable German English language online service – the CEOs of Daimler, Volkswagen and BMW were taken aback, considering this as a ‘dream offer’, given the so far aggressive stance of the White House against the German car industry. Grenell didn’t go into details, regarding the World Trade Organization (WTO) rules or which countries are to be included. As usual, the Americans don’t care much about the rules regulating international trade nor do they mind that Germany belongs to the EU, and cannot have her own exclusive trade deals, with third countries. The ambassador just threw a firecracker and probably meant a bilateral agreement between Germany or even the entire EU and the US, in breach of any WTO practice and order. In reality, he wants to test the EU’s unity. Still, the Germans appeared to believe the American trick. Swallowing the American bait So, the German Press rushed to comment that France wouldn’t discuss such a proposal for two reasons. Firstly, because she doesn’t export cars to the US, so the abolishment of all tariffs doesn’t offer Paris any gains. Secondly, and most importantly, the abolishment of all tariffs on all imports of cars has to be across the directory for all countries including Japan, South Korea and other competitive car producers like China. The rules of WTO foresee that. All the Asian car producers have already built a strong presence in the European market and will take good advantage of an EU trade disarmament. Such an option, though, could harm the less competitive French car industry, or at least this is what the German commentators think. Testing the Franco-German axis No doubt then, the Grenell proposal is considered more of a test of the unity of the European Union and of the Franco-German partnership. Any trade agreement concerning cars has to be according to the WTO rules, at least as it concerns the European Union. The German car producers cannot have it their way with the Americans, and still continue be an integral part of the European edifice. Not without reason, the French minister for Finance Bruno Le Maire said “If tomorrow there is an increase in tariffs, like in the car industry, our reaction should be united and strong to show that Europe is a united and sovereign power”. Germany doesn’t like that. Berlin has to think deep No doubt then, Berlin seems disposed to make concessions to the Americans in order to avoid the possible extra tariffs on its car exports. However, those concessions would certainly hurt other EU countries more. The US demands, for example, free access to the huge EU agro-food market, where France will be the losing party. Is Berlin ready to negotiate such scenarios? If Germany insists in protecting her automotive sector, to the detriment of other EU member states, it will be the last day of the European Union. After the Britons, the Germans must understand that the EU is not only for the sunny days. It cannot protect the interests of one member state only; it has to cater for all otherwise it cannot go on.  

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

© UNFPA Ukraine In March 2026, a maternity hospital in Odesa, Ukraine was attacked by Russian forces.

World News in Brief: More attacks in Ukraine, violence against children in Haiti, refugee IDs in Africa

This article is published in association with United Nations. Civilians, including humanitarians, continue to face great danger across war-torn Ukraine amid ongoing hostilities, according to the UN humanitarian relief coordination office there, OCHA. Over the past three days, frontline attacks killed at least 11 civilians and injured nearly 200 others, including five children, as reported by […]
UN Photo/Milton Grant Sculpture depicting St. George slaying the dragon. The dragon is created from fragments of Soviet SS-20 andUnited States Pershing nuclear missiles.

Nuclear terror threat ‘has never been so high’

This article is published in association with United Nations. The widespread availability of new technology, such as militarised drones and artificial intelligence, means that the current threat of nuclear terrorism is higher than it has ever been. The humanitarian, environmental, and economic consequences of a radiological or nuclear terrorist attack would be global, undermining international peace […]
© UNICEF/Nyan Zay Htet Recent disruptions to energy supplies and global supply chains have reverberated across development and humanitarian sectors, including relief efforts in Myanmar, where millions remain in need of assistance.

Global energy and trade disruption pushing millions towards poverty

This article is published in association with United Nations. Disruptions to global energy supplies and trade corridors are driving up the cost of food, transport and essential goods worldwide, slowing economic growth and increasing pressure on vulnerable households and debt-strapped developing countries. The warnings came during a special meeting of the UN Economic and Social Council […]
UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe UN Relief Chief Tom Fletcher (centre) along with Ambassador Mike Waltz (right) and Jeremy P. Lewin of the United States hold a joint press briefing on funding to the humanitarian system.

UN welcomes $1.8 billion US boost for humanitarian operations

This article is published in association with United Nations. An additional $1.8 billion in US humanitarian funding will allow the United Nations and its partners to expand emergency relief operations reaching millions of people worldwide, as rising global needs and funding shortfalls force aid agencies to scale back assistance. The funding announcement, made on Wednesday by […]
© WHO/Hanan Balkhy Displaced families are living in overcrowded tents and makeshift shelters, surrounded by waste and debris, with limited access to safe water and sanitation services.

World News in Brief: Mounting waste in Gaza, drone attacks in Sudan, aid truck struck in Ukraine

This article is published in association with United Nations. Mounting waste and limited access to sanitation sites are deepening health risks for families across Gaza, as humanitarian workers warn that overcrowded dumping areas and worsening living conditions threaten vulnerable communities. Ramiz Alakbarov, UN’s top aid official in Occupied Palestinian Territory visited a dumping site in Gaza […]
This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Mr. Franco Miguel Nodado, a 4th-year medical student from the Philippines. He is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Autism Spectrum Disorders in Global Health: Bridging the Gap in  Awareness, Early Diagnosis, and Inclusive Care 

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Georgia Maria Vardalachaki, a medical student from the Medical University of Crete, Greece. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s […]
© WHO/Hedinn Halldorsson WHO Director-General Tedros and a health expert during operations involving the MV Hondius off Tenerife amid the hantavirus response.

Hantavirus-hit ship evacuation completed as quarantines begin

This article is published in association with United Nations. The passengers and crew have disembarked from the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in Tenerife and many have returned to their home countries, as the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said the operation demonstrated a “triumph of solidarity”. The repatriation effort, coordinated by Spanish authorities with support […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Strait of Hormuz de-escalation is urgent, says UN chief

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens and tensions between Iran and the United States remain unresolved, oil prices rose again early Monday, prompting the UN Secretary-General to call for a peaceful resolution and warn of the widening fallout across Africa and beyond. “My strong appeal is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Ukraine: Over 3,000 attacks on healthcare since full-scale Russian invasion

This article is published in association with United Nations. The World Health Organization (WHO) has verified more than 3,000 attacks on healthcare in Ukraine since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, the UN agency reported on Friday. “During 1,534 days of war, Ukraine’s healthcare system has experienced repeated attacks,” it said.  Every aspect of the system has been […]
WHO Passengers from MV Hondius assisted by Spanish and WHO health teams after disembarking.

Passengers leave hantavirus-hit cruise ship in Tenerife as WHO says outbreak ‘not another COVID’

This article is published in association with United Nations. Passengers and crew from the cruise ship MV Hondius began disembarking in Tenerife on Sunday under a tightly coordinated international health operation led by Spanish authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO), as officials sought to reassure the public that the outbreak “is not another COVID.” The […]
Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

This article is published in association with United Nations. As global electricity demand grows, so does the popularity of nuclear energy. In the Middle East, several countries are evaluating or advancing nuclear power projects, balancing weighty issues such as regional security, climatic conditions and international cooperation. “Nuclear energy is at the intersection of energy demands, technological […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Bahrain and US float Security Council resolution on the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Bahrain and the United States have circulated a draft Security Council resolution calling for Iran to cease attacks in the Strait of Hormuz, their ambassadors outlined to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York on Thursday. The text is supported by Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the […]
© CDC An enhanced microscopic image shows the Hantavirus.

Hantavirus outbreak: Another passenger contracts disease

This article is published in association with United Nations. It’s been confirmed that another passenger from the cruise liner linked to the outbreak of hantavirus has contracted the disease, which has claimed the lives of three people on board and sparked an international alert coordinated by the UN World Health Organization (WHO). The individual, who is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

UN warns of worsening human rights crisis in Mali after deadly attacks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The human rights situation in Mali is rapidly deteriorating following coordinated attacks by armed groups across the country, with civilians killed, displaced and cut off from food and aid, UN rights office OHCHR said on Tuesday. The violence, which erupted on 25 and 26 April, saw large-scale […]
© UNICEF A damaged ambulance in Tebnine in southern Lebanon.

In Lebanon, the same fears and dangers persist despite ceasefire: UNHCR

This article is published in association with United Nations. Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday. “Civilians in the south of Lebanon and parts of the Bekaa [Valley] are really living with the […]
© Unsplash/Planet Volumes A computer-generated image shows the Strait of Hormuz.

Uncertainty continues over safety in the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Amid claims and counter-claims of strikes and confrontations in the crucial Strait of Hormuz between Iran and the United States, UN maritime officials continue to urge vessels to exercise “maximum caution”. “We are aware of the reports but do not have further details. We continue to urge […]
© ADB/Ariel Javellana Women farmers in India sell wheat grain and buy fertilizer with the proceeds.

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and the rights of the most vulnerable people worldwide, UN agencies warned on Friday. Heightened insecurity and instability around key Gulf routes, including […]
© Unsplash/Angus Gray Ship transits through the Strait of Hormuz have dropped by over 90 per cent since the crisis escalated in late February 2026.

Hormuz crisis strangling global economy, Guterres warns, demanding solutions to end stalemate

This article is published in association with United Nations. The escalating crisis in the Strait of Hormuz could push tens of millions into poverty, trigger a surge in global hunger and even tip the world towards recession, the UN Secretary-General warned on Thursday. António Guterres decried the restrictions on free passage through the crucial chokepoint which […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

AI in advertising risks fuelling information crisis, UN warns

This article is published in association with United Nations. With spending on advertising topping $1 trillion a year worldwide, the United Nations on Wednesday highlighted the untapped power of major brands to shape the future of Artificial Intelligence, warning that a failure to act could deepen a global information integrity crisis. In a new brief titled […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com