The ECB must extend its money stimulus beyond 2018: Draghi reckoning

Mario Draghi, President of the ECB (on the right), bits farewell to Vítor Constâncio, the Portuguese Vice-President of ECB, who is to be succeeded in Vice Presidency by the Spaniard Luis de Guindos. ECB Press conference of 26 April in Frankfurt am Main. (Photo, ECB work; some rights reserved).

Last Thursday, 26 April Mario Draghi, tactfully left it to be understood that Eurozone may not any more grow so fast as we all knew it was doing until recently, and, consequently, the inflation goal of close to 2% may not be achievable. He communicated that by not repeating what he had said on 8 March, when he had clearly stated, “This outlook for growth confirms our confidence that inflation will converge towards our inflation aim”. Last Thursday, instead of ‘confirms’, he said  “continues to support our confidence that inflation will converge towards our inflation aim”. The intended differentiation between the fullest possible avowal of “confirms our confidence” and the rather optimistic meaning of “continues to support our confidence” was some minutes later further confirmed. He was speaking at the customary afternoon Press conference following the 26 April ECB‘s Governing Council meeting. Right after his initial statement, Draghi was asked by a journalist the following question: “…now that we’ve seen some weaker-than-expected data (about inflation), is there a risk that the variance in inflation could increase and potentially slow down the process of convergence”? Inflation moves sideways Draghi responded yes in a clear cut way: “measures of underlying inflation since our last meeting moved sideways. There hasn’t been any convincing upward trend or signs that this upward trend is about to come.” He is adamant here, confirming that the inflation outlook and the wider economic conjuncture have changed and “ there hasn’t been any convincing upward trend or signs that this upward trend is about to come”. The truth is that the change in Eurozone’s economic prospects has been noticed by all the major analysts since a few weeks ago. They point to the risks to growth from the American trade protectionism and the rise of the euro/dollar parity, impeding the exports of euro area and making imported goods cheaper. All that undermines growth and results in further depressing the already low inflation rate (1.3% in March). The French were fast to notice – policy wise – what the contrast between the recent change of economic circumstances and the December decision of the European Central Bank signify. To be reminded, at the end of last year, the Governing Council of the central bank had decided to stop its extraordinarily accommodative measures (quantitative easing). However, abandoning this monetary stimulus to growth now, as the Germans persistently demand, will mean a lot of problems for many Eurozone countries including France. So ‘la Banque de France’ reacted swiftly. The French insist Francois Villeroy de Galhau, the Governor of the Bank of France stated last week that the European Central Bank shouldn’t bring to an end its extraordinary monetary measures in September, because “growing risks from protectionism, exchange rates or market swings end up depressing inflation”. On principle, the basic mandate of ECB is to bring inflation close but below 2%. To that end, during the past many years the central bank has printed and circulated €2.5 trillion of new money and kept its basic interest rate at flat zero, thus reviving inflation and at the same time helping growth.  Stopping this monetary stimulus to economic activity and ending the endeavor to revive inflation at this point in time is then a flagrant violation of ECB’s mandate. Last December, ECB’s Governing Council on the insistence of Germany and her few Eurozone followers, decided to stop this accommodative policy, since they considered that the euro area economy was already growing fast enough, so the inflation target was reasonably expected to be achieved thereafter. Now, the French, and practically everybody else, say the conjuncture has changed once more and the extraordinary measures are still needed. Berlin thinks otherwise To be noted, all along the past years, Berlin has been strongly opposing this extraordinary policy of quantitative easing and the zeroing of interest rates, being the only European country with gigantic reserves. Everybody else in the euro area needed those unorthodox measures in order to refinance their debts at a lower interest cost and leave some space for government spending to support growth. The Eurozone badly needed to recover from the 2008-2010 financial Armageddon. Today the recovery is again uncertain. Last week, then, de Galhau observed that the Eurozone must now face the new challenges which are bound to suppress growth and inflation again. So, the ECB must continue with its extraordinary measures well beyond 2018 and change its December decision for stricter policies. Obviously, this option is opposed by Germany. Berlin has all along the past years opposed what everybody else needed, despite the fact that the German economy has thrived on exports to the rest of the euro area, and could expect more gains from other people’s better prospects. What Eurozone needs There is, then, an evident and disturbing discrepancy between what the German decision makers think about their obligations towards the rest of the Eurozone, and what everybody else expects. Recycling the huge trade surpluses Germany has accumulated from the rest of Eurozone, through investments and more consumption, has been the obvious solution to the woes of the rest of the euro area countries. On top of that, such a visionary policy would, in the long run, further support Germany’s successes. Only the Germans stubbornly refuse to see it. Neutralizing those surpluses by just stockpiling them is a hopeless growth cutter for the entire Eurozone. During the coming few weeks, we will learn if Berlin is again to win the match game in Frankfurt am Main or if common sense is to prevail. The next meeting of ECB’s governing Council is scheduled for 1st June.  

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

© WFP/Mohamad Al Hinnawi Brothers sitting outside their family’s tent in Gaza.

Middle East: 94 per cent need shelter in Gaza, Israel ramps up demolitions in Lebanon

This article is published in association with United Nations. Ninety-four cent of Gaza’s 2.1 million residents need shelter as Israeli gunfire and strikes continue inside the enclave, UN agencies and peacekeepers warned on Thursday. Key points More than four out of five families currently face critical or catastrophic living conditions, which lack fuel, energy and essential […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been […]
© UNRWA/Kazem Abu-Khalaf A girl looks out the window of her home in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank, where she and other family members were trapped during an Israeli military operation.

Raising alarm over new illegal Israeli outposts, UN condemns attacks, incitement against Palestinians

This article is published in association with United Nations. Reports of new illegal Israeli outposts in the occupied West Bank raised alarms at UN Headquarters on Wednesday while the UN rights office called on Israel to condemn its national security minister’s words that incite “violence amounting to atrocity crimes” against Palestinians. Key points “The Secretary-General is […]
© IOM/Lisa George Flooding in Sudan has displaced 20,000 people since June (file).

Sudan war: 200,000 newly displaced as fighting and floods intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Intensifying fighting in Sudan has displaced at least another 200,000 people since late 2025, while destructive seasonal floods are compounding the massive humanitarian emergency there, the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM) said on Wednesday. In an alert, the agency also warned that relief access has been disrupted further […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Gaza: Only three per cent of cropland available to grow food

Amid ongoing deadly hostilities in Gaza, the enclave’s farmers face the increasingly difficult challenge of finding safe land to grow their crops. Satellite images published on Tuesday in news analysis from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and UNOSAT, the UN Satellite Centre, indicate that just three per cent (448 hectares) of the shattered enclave’s […]
© UNOCHA/Themba Linden A UN team inspects an unexploded bomb lying on a main road in Khan Younis, Gaza.

Qusra siege eases as UN reaches trapped families, but crisis deepens in Gaza

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarian workers have reached Palestinian families who had been trapped for days by Israeli settlers in Qusra village in the northern West Bank, the UN said on Monday, as officials warned that the standoff must not become “the new normal.” UN teams on the ground reached the […]
© UNFPA Palestine A woman and two children walk near the city of Jenin in the West Bank.

900 obstacles and counting: West Bank families trapped as aid access shrinks

This article is published in association with United Nations. Humanitarians continue to provide life-saving assistance to people across the Occupied Palestinian Territory despite facing obstacles such as checkpoints, instability and access restrictions, the United Nations said on Friday.  In the West Bank, aid partners warn that their work “is being delayed and limited by a network […]
© UNICEF/Eyad El Baba A nine-year-old girl outside her damaged home in Nuseirat camp in central Gaza.

Gaza: Destruction of buildings rises by nearly 10 per cent since ceasefire

This article is published in association with United Nations. New satellite assessments show the destruction of buildings in Gaza has climbed by nearly 10 per cent since October’s faltering ceasefire between Hamas and Israeli forces aim to end the two-year war, which reduced cities to rubble and displaced more than one million people, UN agencies said […]
© SOS Méditerranée/Anthony Jean A team completed a rescue mission, saving 98 people from a dangerous journey in the central Mediterranean region in 2020. (file)

Migrant deaths climb sharply in 2026, new UN data shows

This article is published in association with United Nations. Severe weather, war, economic pressure and shifting policies reshaped migration journeys across multiple regions in the first four months of 2026, driving a surge in deaths, according to new data released on Wednesday by the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The agency’s newest route-based data shows a […]
© UNFPA Emergency responders walk through a debris-strewn street in Quibdó in northern Colombia following the earthquake.

UN continues scaling up response to earthquake in Colombia

This article is published in association with United Nations. The UN on Wednesday continued scaling up assistance to areas affected by the deadly earthquake that hit Colombia two days earlier. Tweet URL https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?creatorScreenName=UN_News_Centre&dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&features=eyJ0ZndfdGltZWxpbmVfbGlzdCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOltdLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X2ZvbGxvd2VyX2NvdW50X3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9iYWNrZW5kIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19yZWZzcmNfc2Vzc2lvbiI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZm9zbnJfc29mdF9pbnRlcnZlbnRpb25zX2VuYWJsZWQiOnsiYnVja2V0Ijoib24iLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X21peGVkX21lZGlhXzE1ODk3Ijp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRyZWF0bWVudCIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfZXhwZXJpbWVudHNfY29va2llX2V4cGlyYXRpb24iOnsiYnVja2V0IjoxMjA5NjAwLCJ2ZXJzaW9uIjpudWxsfSwidGZ3X3Nob3dfYmlyZHdhdGNoX3Bpdm90c19lbmFibGVkIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6Im9uIiwidmVyc2lvbiI6bnVsbH0sInRmd19kdXBsaWNhdGVfc2NyaWJlc190b19zZXR0aW5ncyI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdXNlX3Byb2ZpbGVfaW1hZ2Vfc2hhcGVfZW5hYmxlZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdmlkZW9faGxzX2R5bmFtaWNfbWFuaWZlc3RzXzE1MDgyIjp7ImJ1Y2tldCI6InRydWVfYml0cmF0ZSIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfbGVnYWN5X3RpbWVsaW5lX3N1bnNldCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOnRydWUsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9LCJ0ZndfdHdlZXRfZWRpdF9mcm9udGVuZCI6eyJidWNrZXQiOiJvbiIsInZlcnNpb24iOm51bGx9fQ%3D%3D&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=2087424955390865660&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.un.org%2Fen%2Fstory%2F2026%2F08%2F1168128&sessionId=9eb4055aa89180f054a0f5e31c06fbfd46ddaf0c&siteScreenName=UN_News_Centre&theme=light&widgetsVersion=6a3ad42b224df%3A1778106238597&width=550px According to latest official figures, the 7.4 magnitude quake has left more than 200 dead and injured over 2,500, said UN Deputy Spokesperson […]
© UN News/Isaiah Steinberg Participants gather at the Youth and AI Summit at UN Headquarters in New York.

Youth advocates gather in New York to launch new AI standards

This article is published in association with United Nations. As artificial intelligence (AI) rapidly transforms everything from how we learn, to the job market, children are adopting the technology more than three times faster than adults – exposing them to unique opportunities and risks. The UN hosted more than 600 young people from around the world on […]
© ILO/Marcel Crozet A street seller in Kisumu, Kenya. "“A generation that cannot find decent work cannot build its future with confidence,” said UN labour agency chief Gilbert Houngbo.

After post-pandemic improvement, youth unemployment is rising again

This article is published in association with United Nations. Frustrated by skyrocketing youth unemployment, among other issues, tens of thousands of Gen Z activists took to the streets of Nepal last year, demanding a stake in the country’s economic growth. The protest worked and the prime minister resigned. A new report published Tuesday by the UN’s International […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

World marks second warmest July on record

This article is published in association with United Nations. As multiple regions contend with unbearable heat, drought, wildfires and other extreme weather, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on Tuesday underlined the crucial need for stronger forecasts and early warning systems to protect lives and livelihoods.  The UN agency said the past month was the second warmest July on record worldwide, according to the […]
UNIFIL UNIFIL continues to supply local communities with essentials.

Lebanon: UN peacekeepers count hundreds of Israeli strikes and incursions in a single weekend

This article is published in association with United Nations. Israeli forces fired 455 projectiles into south Lebanon and breached Lebanese airspace 97 times between Friday and Sunday, the UN’s peacekeeping mission in the country reported Monday – among the heaviest fire seen in months. UNIFIL said Saturday alone accounted for 229 of those projectiles, the highest […]
© WHO/Josua Mulala Raymond A health worker is disinfected at an Ebola treatment centre in the eastern DR Congo.

Ebola in DR Congo: Childhood deaths rise; hopes raised over new vaccine

This article is published in association with United Nations. More than 300 children have died in the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN said on Friday, as health experts urged trials of the only vaccine against the disease to halt further spread of the rare Bundibugyo species. Children and […]
PAHO/WHO The coastline of Havana, Cuba. The country is grappling with severe fuel shortages and blackouts following oil import sanctions imposed this year by the US.

Cuba: Independent experts condemn new US sanctions as humanitarian crisis deepens

This article is published in association with United Nations. Independent UN human rights experts on Thursday condemned a fresh round of US sanctions against Cuba, calling them an attempt to force change on “a sovereign State through threats and coercion.” The Human Rights Council–appointed group of experts warned that without swift action from the international community […]
© UNOCHA Local residents pass a severely damaged apartment building and an overturned car in a residential area in Kyiv, Ukraine.

‘A clear violation’: Guterres deplores deadliest attack on Kyiv this year

This article is published in association with United Nations. UN Secretary-General António Guterres condemned on Wednesday the deadliest Russian strikes on Kyiv this year, which killed 17 people and caused extensive damage to civilian infrastructure overnight. On the heels of the deadliest month for Ukrainian civilians since the early days of the war, Mr. Guterres expressed concern that […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Filippov Families shelter in a Kyiv metro station during an overnight air-raid on the Ukrainian capital.

UN reports deadly month for Ukrainian civilians as Russian attacks intensify

This article is published in association with United Nations. Russian forces hammered Ukraine with ballistic missiles and long-range drones overnight on Tuesday, killing at least 17 civilians – mainly around Kyiv – and injuring another 44, the UN human rights office in Ukraine reported. The latest Russian attacks mark an increasingly deadly escalation in the ongoing war, […]
© UNICEF/Oleksii Fili Local residents wander among debris following a Russian missile attack in Kyiv, on 19 July 2026.

‘A playground, a beach, a home’: UNICEF demands end to child deaths in Russia-Ukraine war

This article is published in association with United Nations. As Russia’s invasion of Ukraine continues, with both sides stepping up airstrikes and drone attacks in recent weeks deep inside each other’s territory, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) appealed on Tuesday for greater protection for the war’s youngest victims. “Over the past several days, children have again […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com