TTIP is not dead as of yet, the 15th round of negotiations in New York shouts

ttip-eu-usa-free-trade

A reasonable and balanced Free Trade Agreement with the US The sixth priority of the Juncker Commission for the EU is a reasonable and balanced Free Trade Agreement with the US. Negotiations for transatlantic trade and investment partnership (TTIP). © European Union , 2016 / Source: EC – Audiovisual Service / Photo: Cristof Echard

Despite the huge protests and the many critics of the past two months, the 15th round of TTIP negotiations took place as planned last week in New York City. With the American elections getting closer and a growing scepticism in the local European parliaments, many saw the EU-US trade deal as almost dead. Now it seems the two sides are determined to reverse the trend in a last attempt to save the deal and negotiators said it loud: “negotiations will continue”. “We came to New York with one objective – to make as much progress as possible in our trade talks with the US”, EU’s Chief TTIP Negotiator Ignacio Garcia Bercero said immediately at the beginning of the final press conference of NYC meetings. “The reasons to continue these talks are as strong as three years ago when we started negotiating this biggest bilateral trade agreement in the world”, added Mr. Bercero. But this didn’t seem that obvious just few days ago. The background The last twelve weeks have been a never-ending succession of events for the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership. After having significantly lost support from Germany and France, with Economy Minister and Minister for Foreign Trade respectively calling for an end of the talks, the TTIP found itself on the brink of collapse. Huge protests with hundreds of thousands flooding the streets in major European cities carried more pessimism around the proposed EU-US deal. Then the trade ministers from twelve EU countries openly asked to EU’s trade commissioner Cecilia Malmström to save the deal and to throw support behind it, and thus the TTIP project seemed to regain some momentum. Despite that, Commissioner Malmström also admitted her doubts and that the chances to conclude negotiations before the end of the year looked increasingly “unlikely”. New York’s 15th round of negotiations became crucial ever since. All eyes on NYC According to Mr. Bercero and his American counterpart Dan Mullaney, the outcome of latest TTIP talks round was positive. “Our teams have worked extremely hard and have made significant progress in a number of areas”, underscored the EU Chief Negotiator Bercero. “The negotiators have spent a lot of time discussing the regulatory area, including regulatory coherence, technical barriers to trade, plants and animals health (SPS) and the nine specific sectors identified for cooperation before the talks has begun”,  he continued. The nine sectors Mr. Bercero mentioned in his speech represent indeed a very hot open topic, as they affect the most sensible areas of the negotiations. The nine sectors are: cars, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, cosmetics, ICT, pesticide, engineering, medical devices and textiles. Earlier this year, the European Consumer Organisation, BEUC, raised concerns over the risks of TTIP increasing consumer exposure to toxic chemicals. According to BEUC, the EU’s chemical risks control system could be potentially weakened by “the nature and scope of the transatlantic trade deal” itself, as the European Sting reported back in February. “Progress in some of those sectors is very encouraging”, Mr. Bercero declared. The progress “Progress” was indeed the key word of New York City’s TTIP session, according to what US Chief TTIP Negotiator Dan Mullaney declared at the wrap up conference. “We have made excellent progress over the past few days”, he pointed last Friday. “We have heard some skeptical voices about TTIP lately, but I want to emphasize that the United States remains fully engaged in these negotiations and is as committed as ever to their success”, Mr. Mullaney also declared. “We remain ready to move forward on an agreement that is in our mutual economic interest”, he added. Merkel’s support New York TTIP talks round apparently helped the EU-US trade pact to win back the support from German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who showcased a renewed interest towards the free trade deal last week. Chancellor Merkel said the EU and the US should continue to negotiate the TTIP “as long as possible”, as reported by Reuters, despite opposition in many European countries. “We are still continuing the discussions about TTIP and I think we should continue them as long as possible”, Merkel told a meeting of the German BGA trade body on Wednesday. “We will never fall below the standards set by the European Union”, she said. US election knot German Economy Minister Sigmar Gabriel still looks very cautious though. Mr. Gabriel told the BGA trade group he did not believe the TTIP trade talks could be completed this year. “I expect that we’ll need a new start after the US president election”, Gabriel said. What’s still not clear is more in general TTIP’s future with a new US administration in place. Both Democrat front runner Hillary Clinton and Republican candidate Donald Trump signalled very poor support to huge trade agreements like Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and of course the TTIP. Mr. Trump has strongly condemned both deals as “job-killers” and Mrs. Clinton has repeatedly voiced an end to America’s “unconditional support for global free trade”, which would allegedly undermine the jobs of American workers. A radical change All in all, if it’s any true that the TTIP is not yet dead, it is also true that many things have changed around the gigantic EU-US trade deal. Despite the optimism of both chief trade negotiators, none of them could deny last Friday that they have formally given up on the idea of concluding TTIP talks this year under Obama administration. Mr. Mullaney said both sides aim to continue to make progress in the coming months, but also admitted all parties expect TTIP negotiations to be halted in 2017 primarily due to the United States elections. US negotiator Mullaney indeed said there could be still “so much” the two sides can accomplish in the remaining time of the Obama administration, but never mentioned concrete achievements and deadlines. This basically says there is no concrete timeline on how EU and US sides will use the remaining months of the Obama era. The trade ministers of the European Union are planning to meet once more to discuss TTIP during a Council meeting on November 11, which will be just three days after the US presidential elections, according to EU negotiator Bercero. They will advise on the way forward after then. “In the meantime, the EU’s head of states at European Council should also be able to have a discussion on trade issues, including on the state of play of the negotiations with the United States”, stressed Mr. Bercero. No date was set for a new round of negotiations yet though.

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Interesting reads

© UNICEF/Josue Mulala Emergency aid is prepared for delivery to Kasaï province in response to the recently declared Ebola virus disease outbreak in DR Congo.

Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

This article is published in association with United Nations. The deadly Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda does not represent a global pandemic emergency, although the risk is high at a regional and national level, the UN health agency chief said on Wednesday. In an update on the fast-developing situation in […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

How the Hormuz crisis keeps disrupting kitchens, ports and paychecks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran may have eased fears of a wider regional war, but persistent instability around the Strait of Hormuz continues to disrupt global trade, drive up energy costs and fuel a growing jobs and cost-of-living crisis. The fallout is being […]
© UNFPA Ukraine In March 2026, a maternity hospital in Odesa, Ukraine was attacked by Russian forces.

World News in Brief: More attacks in Ukraine, violence against children in Haiti, refugee IDs in Africa

This article is published in association with United Nations. Civilians, including humanitarians, continue to face great danger across war-torn Ukraine amid ongoing hostilities, according to the UN humanitarian relief coordination office there, OCHA. Over the past three days, frontline attacks killed at least 11 civilians and injured nearly 200 others, including five children, as reported by […]
UN Photo/Milton Grant Sculpture depicting St. George slaying the dragon. The dragon is created from fragments of Soviet SS-20 andUnited States Pershing nuclear missiles.

Nuclear terror threat ‘has never been so high’

This article is published in association with United Nations. The widespread availability of new technology, such as militarised drones and artificial intelligence, means that the current threat of nuclear terrorism is higher than it has ever been. The humanitarian, environmental, and economic consequences of a radiological or nuclear terrorist attack would be global, undermining international peace […]
© UNICEF/Nyan Zay Htet Recent disruptions to energy supplies and global supply chains have reverberated across development and humanitarian sectors, including relief efforts in Myanmar, where millions remain in need of assistance.

Global energy and trade disruption pushing millions towards poverty

This article is published in association with United Nations. Disruptions to global energy supplies and trade corridors are driving up the cost of food, transport and essential goods worldwide, slowing economic growth and increasing pressure on vulnerable households and debt-strapped developing countries. The warnings came during a special meeting of the UN Economic and Social Council […]
UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe UN Relief Chief Tom Fletcher (centre) along with Ambassador Mike Waltz (right) and Jeremy P. Lewin of the United States hold a joint press briefing on funding to the humanitarian system.

UN welcomes $1.8 billion US boost for humanitarian operations

This article is published in association with United Nations. An additional $1.8 billion in US humanitarian funding will allow the United Nations and its partners to expand emergency relief operations reaching millions of people worldwide, as rising global needs and funding shortfalls force aid agencies to scale back assistance. The funding announcement, made on Wednesday by […]
© WHO/Hanan Balkhy Displaced families are living in overcrowded tents and makeshift shelters, surrounded by waste and debris, with limited access to safe water and sanitation services.

World News in Brief: Mounting waste in Gaza, drone attacks in Sudan, aid truck struck in Ukraine

This article is published in association with United Nations. Mounting waste and limited access to sanitation sites are deepening health risks for families across Gaza, as humanitarian workers warn that overcrowded dumping areas and worsening living conditions threaten vulnerable communities. Ramiz Alakbarov, UN’s top aid official in Occupied Palestinian Territory visited a dumping site in Gaza […]
This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Mr. Franco Miguel Nodado, a 4th-year medical student from the Philippines. He is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s view on the topic, nor The European Sting’s one.

Autism Spectrum Disorders in Global Health: Bridging the Gap in  Awareness, Early Diagnosis, and Inclusive Care 

This article was exclusively written for The European Sting by Ms. Georgia Maria Vardalachaki, a medical student from the Medical University of Crete, Greece. She is affiliated with the International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA), cordial partner of The Sting. The opinions expressed in this piece belong strictly to the writer and do not necessarily reflect IFMSA’s […]
© WHO/Hedinn Halldorsson WHO Director-General Tedros and a health expert during operations involving the MV Hondius off Tenerife amid the hantavirus response.

Hantavirus-hit ship evacuation completed as quarantines begin

This article is published in association with United Nations. The passengers and crew have disembarked from the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius in Tenerife and many have returned to their home countries, as the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said the operation demonstrated a “triumph of solidarity”. The repatriation effort, coordinated by Spanish authorities with support […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Strait of Hormuz de-escalation is urgent, says UN chief

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Strait of Hormuz crisis deepens and tensions between Iran and the United States remain unresolved, oil prices rose again early Monday, prompting the UN Secretary-General to call for a peaceful resolution and warn of the widening fallout across Africa and beyond. “My strong appeal is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

Ukraine: Over 3,000 attacks on healthcare since full-scale Russian invasion

This article is published in association with United Nations. The World Health Organization (WHO) has verified more than 3,000 attacks on healthcare in Ukraine since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, the UN agency reported on Friday. “During 1,534 days of war, Ukraine’s healthcare system has experienced repeated attacks,” it said.  Every aspect of the system has been […]
WHO Passengers from MV Hondius assisted by Spanish and WHO health teams after disembarking.

Passengers leave hantavirus-hit cruise ship in Tenerife as WHO says outbreak ‘not another COVID’

This article is published in association with United Nations. Passengers and crew from the cruise ship MV Hondius began disembarking in Tenerife on Sunday under a tightly coordinated international health operation led by Spanish authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO), as officials sought to reassure the public that the outbreak “is not another COVID.” The […]
Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

Nuclear energy in the Middle East: A realistic choice or a risk?

This article is published in association with United Nations. As global electricity demand grows, so does the popularity of nuclear energy. In the Middle East, several countries are evaluating or advancing nuclear power projects, balancing weighty issues such as regional security, climatic conditions and international cooperation. “Nuclear energy is at the intersection of energy demands, technological […]
© NASA The Strait of Hormuz which separates the United Arab Emirates and Iran is a strategically important shipping route

Bahrain and US float Security Council resolution on the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Bahrain and the United States have circulated a draft Security Council resolution calling for Iran to cease attacks in the Strait of Hormuz, their ambassadors outlined to journalists at UN Headquarters in New York on Thursday. The text is supported by Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the […]
© CDC An enhanced microscopic image shows the Hantavirus.

Hantavirus outbreak: Another passenger contracts disease

This article is published in association with United Nations. It’s been confirmed that another passenger from the cruise liner linked to the outbreak of hantavirus has contracted the disease, which has claimed the lives of three people on board and sparked an international alert coordinated by the UN World Health Organization (WHO). The individual, who is […]
This article is published in association with United Nations.

UN warns of worsening human rights crisis in Mali after deadly attacks

This article is published in association with United Nations. The human rights situation in Mali is rapidly deteriorating following coordinated attacks by armed groups across the country, with civilians killed, displaced and cut off from food and aid, UN rights office OHCHR said on Tuesday. The violence, which erupted on 25 and 26 April, saw large-scale […]
© UNICEF A damaged ambulance in Tebnine in southern Lebanon.

In Lebanon, the same fears and dangers persist despite ceasefire: UNHCR

This article is published in association with United Nations. Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday. “Civilians in the south of Lebanon and parts of the Bekaa [Valley] are really living with the […]
© Unsplash/Planet Volumes A computer-generated image shows the Strait of Hormuz.

Uncertainty continues over safety in the Strait of Hormuz

This article is published in association with United Nations. Amid claims and counter-claims of strikes and confrontations in the crucial Strait of Hormuz between Iran and the United States, UN maritime officials continue to urge vessels to exercise “maximum caution”. “We are aware of the reports but do not have further details. We continue to urge […]
© ADB/Ariel Javellana Women farmers in India sell wheat grain and buy fertilizer with the proceeds.

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

This article is published in association with United Nations. As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and the rights of the most vulnerable people worldwide, UN agencies warned on Friday. Heightened insecurity and instability around key Gulf routes, including […]

Trackbacks

  1. […] same factors are holding back both deals; both sides are not able to reach a consensus of what currently protected sectors they would open up, and in what way. Because the deals have not […]

Why don't you drop your comment here?

Go back up

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from The European Sting - Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology - europeansting.com

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

The European Sting – Critical News & Insights on European Politics, Economy, Foreign Affairs, Business & Technology – europeansting.com